Friday, May 25, 2012

Marathon Man (Huff To Bluff 26.2!!!)

Wow, I am so proud of this man.  He is a 2 time marathon runner.  26.2 miles is such an amazing accomplishment, both mentally and physically.



I wasn't able to join him this time (I did pay the fee and train for it, but was sidelined by shin splints that I'm still babying), so for once I was able to be at the finish line when he came through.  Usually he is there for me because he runs faster than me.  It's so nice to have him there to cheer me on, but it was really, really something to be there when he finished this great race.  I'm so proud of his determination and his drive.  He's a great man. I teared up when I saw him come around that last corner, running strong to the finish. 



It was really great, too, to have the little ones there.  Not only did they help me for several hours at aid station 17, but they waited patiently at the finish line and were able to see their Dad finish strong.  Our aid station had a cowboy theme, and Kate took her bandit role very, very seriously.    

They have grown up so much during the past year.  I was remembering that last year at the finish line,  one of my friends from out of town had asked me where my kids were.  I told her, at the time, that they were home, and that Kate has a really difficult time (with her autism) waiting for things, being in crowds, and doing anything social.  Wow, has this little girl grown up.  She was able to handle the crowds and the waiting.  She was able to watch her Dad finish strong, and to be a part of the celebration.

2 comments:

  1. I remember when you raced last year. How can I forget the picture of you two running through the finish line. =) Sometimes... it's just nice to be a cheerleader. Kate taking the bandit role very seriously - made me smile. Hope y'all are having a nice holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that whole race, but I must say, I have the best volunteer job there is. I get to see everyone finish. My favorite part is seeing the families at the finish line, it doesn't matter if their runner is the first, last, or "almost" finisher, they are so proud of their athlete's accomplishment. Way to go, Worthy!

    Also, I am so excited for all of your family's major accomplishments this year. Such an exciting year for an amazing family.

    ReplyDelete