Saturday, February 21, 2009

My Husband Rocks!!!!! (and I have an awesome closet)


As most of you know, our house is little. I'm actually quite fond of my house, but it has presented some challenges for our family, especially since our kids keep bringing home more adoptees! We're up to a rather large dog and three cats. A few years ago Worthy and I moved into the basement to give individual rooms to our kids, and we haven't regretted it, except that it is NOT a sanctuary. We have been slowly improving it, and it has gone from sheets for walls to actual sheetrock. Plus Worthy the master electrician put in recessed lighting. We have been making improvements in our basement when we have extra money and time. Translation, it has been very slow!!! Below is a picture of what my bedroom looks like right now. It's basically a construction zone. And, we have been sharing closet space with our kids upstairs.

So my awesome husband worked hard over the last few weeks to finish the walk in closet for Valentine's Day. I know it's just a closet but you have NO IDEA how awesome it is to walk into an organized space after having to hunt for shoes in one closet, socks in the other... We did the whole thing--sheetrock, mud, paint, organizer. The only thing not finished is the floor and trim--we'll do that when we do the rest of the room. So here is a picture of my awesome closet.
Okay, this picture doesn't do it justice. This is the view from the doorway. You can actually walk into it and there is a lot of room on the walls to the left and the right that you can't see in the photo.
But wait! There's more. I had a dream about this next part, and I swear it was inspired! My husband (and Clay, the God of home repairs--thanks Clay!) made it happen. As I mentioned before, we have a small house. This has always been my excuse for not having food storage--we just don't have the room! I stash food under beds, in decorative baskets in the living room, you name it. Well, I wanted one of those fancy shmancy food rotation systems but we didn't have anywhere to put it. I had the brainstorm to put one in the wall! We walled around a space between the closet and the laundry room--it is narrow but deep and it would have been wasted space--and we made slanted shelves to rotate canned foods. You put the cans in on the laundry room side, and you get them out on the walk-in closet side. Instant rotation system. Woo hoo! Here are some pictures:

This is the view from the laundry room side:

Another view from the laundry room side:




A view from the closet side. The boxes on the top and bottom fit all of my wrapping paper rolls and gift bags perfectly--we ordered it from The Container Store and it's great for the deep, narrow space.


Worthy made channels for the cans, and they fit every size all the way from tuna and sliced olives to soup and vegetables to the #10 cans from the church cannery on the bottom.

I completed the final step today using scraps from my mom's fabric stash. Thanks Mom!


Thanks Worthy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6 comments:

  1. That is awesome! i have many excuses for not having food storage, space only being one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go guys. That looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are stronger than me. I lived in an unfinished room growing up and it about drove me crazy. I love your closet, though. And I love that you guys are making progress on your space! Thanks for your kind words on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is sooooooooo cool. I love the fact that you put unused wall space to work for you. I bet having your own closet space is a huge sigh of satisfaction. A Valentine's gift far better than chocolates...but I hope you still got some of those, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooooh, I love organization. I'm so glad to have found you guys! Your family looks great. Take a look at my blog sometime: strongsounds.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete