Thursday, August 20, 2009

Fun(?) on the First Day of School

Worthy was up and ready to go this morning. He calmly walked into his 2nd grade classroom and sat right down. I think my little man is growing up. And so handsome, don't you think?!!


Kate, not so calm. She kept saying, "Mom, I'm scared of the fourth grade. On the way to school, her little voice whispered from the back of the van (as if I hadn't heard her the first few hundred times), "MOM. I'm STILL scared of the fourth grade."

Morgan had her first college class yesterday (concurrent enrollment, Art History), and also started her first day at The Patio. So today was her second day of firsts. She always confides in me that she's nervous, but she's able to stand tall and confidently go for it.


I'm home right now, feeling stressed but grateful that my job is flexible enough to let me wear my mommy hat on important days. I can't imagine how our lives would be right now if I were still in the classroom. This morning, watching the elementary school kids bright eyed and excited, I had that little twinge of nostalgia and I wished for a minute I was back in the classroom, borrowing their joy and energy. But the perks of my current job are without number. For one, I took today off knowing it would be a difficult one for Kate. What a blessing to be able to focus on her and not worry about anything else this morning.
I spent almost an hour with Kate in her classroom this morning--her long little fingers were clawing into me, trying to keep me there forever. The little sweetie. I know this is so hard for her. She has been crying real tears all summer whenever school is mentioned. I've been so proud of her for the gradual way she has come to terms with having to go to school. Just getting up, getting dressed, and physically moving herself in the right direction this morning was a victory.
I finally left her, crying. Now I'm crying. I know this is best for her, and I know she will find the strength to face this and deal with it. She amazes me all the time. I just wish, this one time, I could trade her places and do it for her.

3 comments:

  1. Good for you being the patient supportive mom. I just made Thomas's stress worse by yelling at him for losing his shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, the first day of a new school year...I sort of wish I was there, but then again...nah.

    The kids all look so grown up and cute. I hope your mornings with Kate get easier quickly and Worthy and Morgan ease into the year and enjoy all that it offers them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry today was rough for you. And Kate.

    Praying it gets better.

    It's just another big, scary transition. Sometimes knowing what it is coming doesn't always help. Hang in there, both of you, okay?

    ReplyDelete