Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The Giant-Peak-From-Design-Hell Is History!

Most of you know I have a love/hate relationship with our home.

I love it because it is where my family is. I love it because it is where my two youngest were babies, and I love it because I watched my eldest grow into a young lady within its walls. I love it because it is ours. I love it because we have worked hard on it over the years, our love sweat and tears evident in a finished basement and paint on the walls. I love it because we have great plans for it, and if I close my eyes I can envision it the way it will be when we have tweaked it just so.

And I hate it. I hate that it has one bathroom. I hate that the landlord who owned it before we bought it treated it like a slummy rental. We have spent our years here complaining about (and fixing) faulty wiring, paper-thin walls, and all-around crappy workmanship. There are so many things we would like to fix about this place, we have often been paralyzed, not quite knowing how or where to start.


But the thing I hate the most? The Giant-Peak-From-Design-Hell! How in the world someone once thought this peak at the top of our house was a good idea is beyond all comprehension. But they did, and we have lived with the horrible thing for years.




Worthy says he thinks it has power and it sucks all of the negative energy out of the surrounding neighborhood and town, depositing it in a black cloud above our house. But we all know he reads too many comic books.






Well . . . THE PEAK IS GONE!!!!!! Worthy and a crew of capable, hard-working friends and family members (and the much appreciated expertise of Clayton) have spent the past week replacing the The Giant-Peak-From-Design-Hell with a respectable, gorgeous new gable. And the old, sad gray roofing has been replaced with a lovely new roof!!!
We have a busy week ahead of us (The Homestead and then the Red Rock Relay—I’ll be posting about those events later), so we are not yet able to finish. But I am posting progress pictures for Morgan and all of you, anyway.

Next we will be adding the trim and the siding to the front of the new gable (it will be white and vertical) and adding a new covered porch to the left and front of the new gable. And . . . A NEW, GORGEOUS, BEAUTIFUL DOOR! I can’t wait to post pictures of the final product, because then it will be finished. But I am thrilled with the progress so far.




The kids were quite sure their Dads and Grandpas were on the roof for the sole purpose of letting them have a good time outside, playing and laughing into the night.




Thanks Worthy! And thanks Clay, Tim, Dad, Dad, James, and Britt. We could not have dreamed of doing this without you, and we are at your beck and call whenever you need extra hands for a project of your own.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, an amazing transformation! Dream it, and it will get done...eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that bug is just chillin on the roof in the first photo. That is so typical. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice!!! And thanks for the levis!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great transformation - it's always a great when you can make an improvement that makes your house more your home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My house and yard are in dire need of a transformation, as well. Someday....

    I am very happy for you guys, and all the major projects you've checked off the to-do list.

    ReplyDelete