Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Diners Drive-Ins and Glovers

So, those of you who know me might know I have a weird fascination with the Food Network. I think I'm trying to be a chef by osmosis. If I watch enough Food Network, maybe dinner will magically appear. And it will be melt-in-your-mouth delicous. And individually plated with a garnish of some kind. So far it hasn't happened, but a girl can try.

I'm especially fond of Diners Drive-Ins and Dives. I love the idea of people making real, good, made-from-scratch food in funky out-of-the-way places. I've had enough of McDonald's, Denny's, and plastic food places that seem to be taking over the world.

So last week Worthy and I went to our first (of many, I hope--road trip, anyone?!!) diner recommended by Guy Fieri. It rocked. It's located at 2041 South 2100 East in Salt Lake City. Off of our usual beaten path, but we'll definitely go there again.


The Blue Plate Diner is well known by the locals for it's yummy breakfast menu, but it's a good bet everything there is tasty. They have an antique soda fountain and bar, and funky decor with authentic vintage tables, chairs and booths.




Here's a clip of Guy at the Blue Plate Diner. They're making the Vegan Burger, which is what Worthy ordered (not really his thing---I think he tried it because it was featured on the show. It was delicious, by the way). I had the pulled pork barbecue sandwich. Yum. I want to go back and try everything on the menu.

Thanks, Worthy, for tagging along on my crazy diner adventure.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, I can't wait to try it. I'm also going to try out a place S.Duke suggested, called the Green Papaya...did GUy say anything about THAT place? Hmmm. I'll let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My brother the vegetarian, huh? I love out-of-the-way places like that. It's great that you could go there together. Sounds tasty and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What?!!! You were in Salt Lake and didn't come visit? (Just kidding.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good times and GREAT FOOD! The true fun of the experience was the company. It is pretty awesome to go to these "exotic" places with my wife. Thanks Kim for taking me along as you put a check on your "places to visit" list. I love going on adventures with you!

    ReplyDelete