Sunday, February 25, 2007

100 Things About Kate (Written by her Mom as if she were Kate)

I love big cats…lions, tigers, jaguars, cougars…
My favorite animal is a “cheetah-tiger.”
When I was in the mall with my mom, she let me wish with a penny in the wishing well. I wished I was a cheetah tiger, and then I closed my eyes and waited patiently for it to happen.
I hate it when people touch my hair.
I am intensely afraid of things that are unexpectedly loud…
balloons…
fireworks…
package bubbles.
I was 5 pounds 3 ounces when I was born.
The people at the adoption agency nicknamed me “peanut” because I was so tiny.
My sister Morgan prayed for a little sister (a lot) and that’s why I have my family.
My family loves me.
I love Mrs. Johnson!
William Brown is my favorite friend.
I have a special place in my heart for people with physical disabilities.
I’m amazing at the x-box.
I love to read, and I often read in the dark at bedtime.
My brother loves it when I read to him.
I take very long, hot baths with LOTS of toys in the tub.
I don’t like to sleep on my bed so I sleep on the floor.
I have autism…and my Mom and Dad are proud of the way I adapt to the world.
I have never played with dolls or barbies.
I love to climb.
I have been known to climb onto the roof of our house, to the top branches of the tree (over the road) in front of the house, and on top of the roof of our tree house. This rarely scares me, but it always scares my mom.
I get frustrated easily.
I need food or I lose control of my emotions.
I can sit in crazy positions for long periods of time.
I love Sizzler.
I love shrimp.
I love broccoli.
I love triscuit crackers.
I put WAY too much sugar on my breakfast cereal.
I have a beautiful singing voice.
When the tooth fairy recently forgot to give me money, I said, “That’s okay. I bet she was very busy today because lots of kids lost their teeth.”
I lost my teeth very early—my first at age four.
Rocking soothes me.
Swinging soothes me.
The x-box and Nintendo soothe me.
I love my “boo”.
I call my favorite blanket my “boo” because Morgan used to play peek-a-boo with me using it.
Now even little Worthy calls his blanket a “boo”.
I love the way my boo smells.
My boo smells like “Lotion and Tuxi.”
My boo soothes me.
This is my second boo, and it’s falling apart just like the first one did.
My nickname is Katie-bug.
I love to wear gloves, even when it’s hot outside.
I love to wear my red-footed p.j.s that are ridiculously worn out.
I love coats and shirts with hoods.
I wear hot clothes in the summer time.
I love my Daddy’s songs.
My dad can talk me into things that my Mom can’t.
I love being in charge.
I love to cook.
I love to garden.
I like to watch animal planet.
I adore my cousin Riley.
I believe everything Riley tells me.
Riley has magical powers, including things like laser beams.
I’ve still never seen them but I know they exist because he told me so.
I love to pretend I’m a statue.
I love to fit in extremely small places.
Sometimes that freaks my mom out.
It freaks my teachers out, too.
I hate primary.
I cope with primary by either (a). screaming and crying, or
(b). zoning out (my mom calls this “going away”).
I love to swim but not in cold water.
I love puppets.
On school mornings I’m impossible to wake up.
On vacation days I get up early.
My left and right feet don’t match.
I have very weak teeth.
I love Heidi.
My mom loves Heidi.
Heidi has loved me since I was two months old.
People think I’m spoiled sometimes.
I’m not spoiled, I just have a really hard time when my routine changes or when I don’t feel in control of my world.
I have a hard time with transitions.
I was very difficult to potty train.
I still have issues sometimes with #80.
My mom feels guilty about being so hard on me about #80, because now she knows that it’s very common in autistic kids.
My mom feels guilty about a lot of things!
I love Pink Panther.
I love Tom and Jerry.
Boomerang tv is my favorite.
I’m always embarrassed after I calm down after a fit.
I often don’t remember why I was upset.
I love my 2 cats, Tuxedo and Fred Weasley.
I love my dog, Lou.
I get nervous in gyms because I don’t like the noise.
I don’t like elevators.
I have figured out how to handle elevators: I immediately drop to the floor and lay flat until the elevator stops. My mom and dad (and other people) find this entertaining.
I love visiting the city.
But stoplights make me think of Judy, the lady who does my hair.
So when I was younger and we were in ANY city, I used to say nervously, “Are we going to Judy’s?”
My mom is amazed I haven’t broken any bones.
I love my cousins and my grandmas and grandpas.
I like to ride Worthy’s bike but I don’t like riding my own.
100. MY MOM LOVES ME!!!!!

5 comments:

  1. how old are you now Kate, you lucky girl?
    Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Kate--you are amazing! I already knew that, but your list reminded me.

    Love, Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list Kate. Many of the things you like remind me of myself like climbing trees and on top of the house. Thanks for coming to be a part of our family.Yoy'll have to sing for me sometime. Love you Katie-bug. Grandpa Worthy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kate we miss you and want you to come visit again soon. You are the greatest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kate, you are amazing! I love you so much and love your unique view of the world. Thanks to your mom for writing such true and wonderful things about you.

    ReplyDelete