Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Two Steps Forward and One Step Back...




The two little ones and I are home today. Little Worthy is feeling yucky, and Kate is feeling just yucky enough to be a potential behavior problem at school. So we're having a break. I feel very blessed to have a job that is flexible. My family takes priority and my boss is so good about that.

Last week something happened at our house that I have been wanting to blog about. Those of you who know about autism, or who have had interactions with Kate, know that perspective is a big deal. Kids on the spectrum usually have a really hard time understanding that other people have different perspectives. They have "mind blindness," which becomes apparent very early with autistic kids. As an example, you will not find a baby with autism who points to objects. They don't bring toys to you or show you objects, because they simply don't understand that it is necessary. They can't see that your point of view differs from theirs. As they grow older, this can lead to all sorts of trouble. With Kate, we are constantly reminding her that other kids have feelings, that she doesn't always get to go first, that she should share. She has an especially hard time with empathy. So, I know that was long, but...

Last week Worthy stole a jolly rancher from the grocery store (I know, this could be a post in itself). After he was caught, his Dad told him that he would have to return the jolly rancher to the store. We would not pay for the candy, so he would have to apologize to the people at the store and figure out a way to pay for it or make it right. Of course he cried. We thought he had moved on, when later...

Big Worthy walked into the living room to find Worthy sobbing uncontrollably. Kate had her arms around him, patting him on the back and assuring him, "It's okay, Worthy. I have a nickel and I will give it to you. And you don't have to worry, because they don't put kids in jail. I promise. It's okay."

So great. Empathy, for sure. She loves her little brother.

4 comments:

  1. I love that story. She is so amazing. Hope they feel better. Give them kisses from me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That makes me a little emotional. I can only imagine the joy you felt over this. What a great story. And luckily, Kate is right, they don't put kids in jail. Not only is she loving and empathetic, but she is funny too (not that they thought it was funny at the time, but that is pretty funny).

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're just all full of love for that mini man! :*

    P.S. this is moog, not Kim!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can just see Kate doing that. It is really sweet the relationship those two share.

    ReplyDelete